Mereworth – a brief history
MEREWORTH derives from Mýra’s wort, or homestead, and is mentioned in the Domesday Book 1086 as belonging to Hamo, a Norman nobleman. Among information recorded then there were 28 villagers, a church and two mills.
Sir John de Mereworth fought at Edward III’s siege and capture of Calais in 1347 and the Nevill family owned Mereworth and much of the surrounding area throughout the middle ages.
Their descendant John Fane, 7th Earl of Westmorland, rebuilt their castle in the style of an Italian villa in 1722-25, and the church in 1744-46, both regarded as among the pre-eminent buildings of their period.
Still largely agricultural, the village was long associated with hop growing, with important growers including the Fremlin brewing family. In the 20th century this gave way to to fruit growing and more recently soft fruit.
During the second World War several doodlebugs fell in the village